Licensed Water Well Driller
Austin, TX, USA
Posted on Thursday, July 27, 2023
Bedrock Energy is on a mission to transform the heating & cooling of buildings, using geothermal energy to radically reduce costs for people and the environment. We know that the earth underneath our cities holds extraordinary, untapped capacity to accelerate the clean energy transition, and Bedrock is gathering exceptional talent to scale this carbon-free, hyper-efficient, ultra-safe geothermal energy to buildings throughout the world. We seek to work with creative, collaborative, proactive team members who inspire us with their high standards of excellence, integrity, and commitment to our shared mission. We welcome you to join the Bedrock Energy team in empowering one another to innovate together, as we decarbonize buildings everywhere.
The water well driller will operate Bedrock's drilling equipment (including rig-up and rig-down) and supporting equipment such as mud pumps, support trucks, cranes, and other tools. This position will perform maintenance, submit drivers' logs and timesheets in a timely fashion, and make sure that required safety and operational procedures are followed. In addition, this position will work with technology engineers and operations engineers to provide feedback on the usability of equipment in the field, and provide input on features that would enhance and streamline the ease, safety, and efficiency of on-site geothermal borefield construction operations.
- Projects typically operate on a Monday - Friday schedule with occasional weekend and night shifts, depending on project requirements; workday schedules may be 10 - 12 hours; occasional travel on weekdays may be required
- Conduct the pre-job and post-job inspections and testing of the rig, fluid pump and flowback equipment by completing pre and post job inspections, maintaining all required logbooks and inspection reports
- Under direct supervision, perform Job Safety Analysis (JSA) and safety meetings, and the rigging up and down of drill rig and supporting equipment; assemble and prepare equipment for installation and service
- Operate high-pressure fluid pumps and associated equipment
- Monitor fluid properties and fluid returns before and during the drilling operationsMaintain assigned equipment, perform daily inspections to ensure compliance with operational and safety requirements, and report all operational deficiencies to the supervisor and maintenance personnel
- Always observe company safety rules, including keeping workspaces and vehicles clean and free of safety hazards and utilizing proper personal protective equipment (PPE)
- Practice and promote safe driving procedures when traveling to and from job locations in accordance with company policies and procedures
- Effectively contribute to team goals/objectives and provide guidance to less experienced team members
- Perform other project operations tasks, as assigned by Bedrock's leadership
Work closely with the Drilling Operations Lead and Field Supervisor to ensure efficient, successful, and safe execution of geothermal borefield construction projects
Promote and participate in all required safety, compliance, and certifications programs
- 3+ years' experience in the drilling industry, with at least one (1) year of experience operating a variety of rigs (e.g., sonic, rotary, auger, etc.)
- Valid Water Well Driller (Master Driller preferred) and Pump Installer licenses in Texas; if not licensed in Texas, then a strong history of drilling (at least 2 years) in another state
- Class A Commercial Driver's License and satisfactory results of Motor Vehicle Report and FMCSA requirements, background check, drug and alcohol test, and interstate DOT Medical Card
- Strong problem-solving skills in situations requiring resourcefulness and proactivity
- Strong communication skills with team members and clients
- Strong safety mindset and teamwork skills
- Ability to create a positive and safe work environment for team members straddling field and office work
- Passion for the energy transition
- Bedrock Energy is building a strong culture based on 8 organizational values. Candidates should have a history of demonstrating these values in other organizations.
- Strong Hypotheses, Loosely Held: We’re creative, collaborative, and intellectually honest in solving problems. We proactively propose hypotheses, then remain open-minded to new ideas and diverse perspectives.
- Speed Matters: Our mission requires velocity and agility. We recognize when decisions are reversible, so we move towards action rather than endless study. No plan survives first contact with reality; we expect to learn and adapt quickly.
- Technical Excellence: We solve problems with simple, resourceful, high-quality solutions. We consider real-world circumstances, risks, and trade-offs. We do not take chances with people’s safety
- Ownership Mentality: We run towards challenges with an ownership mentality, seeking solutions proactively. We take responsibility for outcomes, especially when things are tough. We never say, “someone else will handle it."
- We Are A Team: We share success and setbacks as a team. While we won’t always agree, we “disagree and commit” to make outcomes successful. We hold one another blameless when things go wrong and work together to fix problems. Obstacles, crises, and failures are opportunities to reflect and grow.
- Soft on People, Tough on Problems: We communicate directly and transparently. We debate the facts without getting personal and disagree without being disagreeable. We set up our colleagues for success by pairing honest feedback with empathy, compassion, and respect.
- Inspiring People: Our standards are incredibly high. We choose to work with people who inspire us with excellence, integrity, grit, and passion.
- Think BIG: We’re bold, confident, and focused when we act and communicate. We do not accept the status quo and never say something is impossible. Thinking BIG is a self-fulfilling prophecy.
We are committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Bedrock Energy is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status.